When planning your event, you want everything to run as smoothly as possible with minimum stress knowing every detail has been taken care of. However, event suppliers are businesses and with any business they run the risk of financial difficulties, this could be to no fault of their own. Here are a few helpful steps on what to do if your event supplier lets you down.
Contact the administrator
- Contact the administrator or receiver (the person who is responsible for settling the trader’s debts). The names of the administrators will usually be on the website of the company that’s gone bust. You’ll need this information if you need to make a claim. If the supplier was a limited company the information may be listed on company’s house https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/companies-house
Make a claim
- Once you have the administrators details, you should register a claim as a creditor. Write to the administrator detailing:
- How much money you are owed
- Any proof of payments to the supplier (a receipt or bank statement)
- What services the supplier agreed
(please note when you register a claim you are added to a list the company owes money to. Other company’s like banks will be paid first so you might not receive all the money back, it may only be a percentage).
Contact your bank
- If you paid using a credit card, contact your credit card issuer for a refund on the amount you spent with the supplier. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and the credit card company can assist you with losses you have sustained between £100 and £30,000.
- If you have used a debit card to make payment you may be able to claim through the MasterCard or Visa Chargeback scheme provided it hasn’t been more than 120 days since payment on your debit card and making your claim.
Check your insurance
- If you have wedding insurance, check what cover you have on your policy. Many insurance policies include failure of suppliers, (if they don’t turn up or go into administration) you may be able to claim for all deposits or payments made. In some cases, you may also be able to claim additional costs associated with finding a new supplier, so you are not left out of pocket.
Recently a local supplier by the name of Sweet Brothers Events Ltd based in Leeds /Bradford entered administration. Which has effected a large number of customers, we ourselves have been effected by this company. You are not alone, there are other suppliers in the Yorkshire area who would be more than happy to help you continue with your wedding and event venue requirements.
Elite Event Hire are offering a 10% discount to all Sweet Brothers Events Ltd customers who quote, Let down by Sweet Brothers in their enquiry. We have furniture, dance floors, specialist lighting, 5ft light up letters, 4ft light up numbers and more available to hire.